Welcome to Prodigia - Project for the Digitisation of Island Archives – an initiative to encourage and facilitate community access to the archival cultural heritage of the Uists and Barra; to assist in the preservation of fragile records through the provision of digital surrogates; to build up a portfolio of captured archival images; and to provide case studies in their application to island settlement history.
The project has developed over two phases. Phase I (2003 – 2008) is now completed. Phase II will be launched early in 2009.
The purpose of this site is to provide:
- online information on Prodigia and the three strands of Phase I of the Prodigia project viz.:
- Prodigia I: the South Uist Estates (SUE) Archive an introduction to the the SUE) Archive – the principal archival collection that Prodigia Phase I is based on and online access to the SUE Archive Interim Summary Catalogue
- Prodigia I: the Images Portfolio – the portfolio of selected exemplar digitised images from the SUE Archive collection
- Prodigia I: the Historical Case Studies – the pilot case studies in settlement history that relate the archive content to the historical and cultural landscape of the islands
- online information on the aims and objectives of Prodigia Phase II.
- online information on the aims and objectives of the South Uist and Barra Archives Trust (SUBAT), the body that has secured core funding for Prodigia Phase I
- online Other Links to other bodies and related projects promote awareness and further knowledge of the social and cultural history of the Uists and Barra
As this site develops the content will be updated on a regular basis. Information notes on relevant archival sources for historical research on the Uists and Barra and on using the archives will also be provided along with links to related projects and associated community groups, archives and academic institutions.